You know when you have ‘THAT’ day at work? When all you did was:
- react to email
- get pulled in 432904 directions – none of which are of your choosing
- have to work through lunch
- hadn’t peed in about 7 hours
- had traffic that could cause a homicide
THAT was yesterday. I had every reason from hell and half of Georgia to say screw it and go home after work. I was done. My mind was shot. I didn’t feel that I had gotten anything done at work and I was defeated mentally.
And yet here’s the thing. I packed a swim bag this morning. I put everything in my trunk to swim after work. And I was NOT TAKING A BAG FULL OF CLEAN SWIM GEAR HOME.
I made a commitment to myself at 5a when I got up. I promised myself I’d make time for myself. During the course of my day, 84208 times I changed my mind about going. Up until I pulled into the gym parking lot, even I didn’t know what I was going to do.
And I did it. I swam away the crazy. I swam away the mood. I swam into joy. Swimming is the only place on the planet no one can talk to me. It’s bliss.
I have two takeaways:
- work can suck and somedays you wear it
- never ever break a promise to yourself; ever
When you have THAT day – how do you respond?